Thursday, October 9, 2008

Change of scenery

Hello all, just writing a quick note to let you know that I have safely returned to the Paris area, where I will be living and studying for the next couple of months. I live in Saint-Denis, which is to the north of Paris. I share an apartment with two Polish students, who are really cool. We spent one of my first nights here having a long discussion about educational and cultural differences between our countries and France. I think we are going to get along really well. There are also four German students who live down the hall, and are participating in a program that seems to intersect a lot with mine. We spent all day yesterday in class together, and it looks like I'll be seeing them somewhat regularly, which is nice. It feels good to be establishing some connections so quickly upon my arrival. I also feel really fortunate to get to spend time with several international students; we will all have to speak French to each other, which is great practice, and the conversations I have already had with them have made me reflect a lot upon my own educational background and what I seek to get out of my experience here.

Anyway, tomorrow I start my observations at the lycée (high school) Pablo Picasso, which I am really looking forward to. I am not sure when I will be able to post again, as the wireless internet in our apartment doesn't work. I am currently using a computer in the IUFM (college of education), with--my favorite--a French keyboard. Hopefully you can look for a longer post from me in the near future.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

i'm so glad you're having a good time!